Monday, August 06, 2012

The Adventure Begins

Well, technically, it started the minute we merged on to I-75 and began our Quest for Fun, me and the Little Amiga, a/k/a Jose, a/k/a #2 daughter.  Me driving 550 miles south, solo so to speak as #2 is not yet of driving age.  Yes, I was nervous.  Yes, I was a little scared.  I saw more than one lady in the breakdown lane staring intently under the hood of her vehicle and I said several prayers that that would NOT be me on this trip.  I remember hitting the Point of No Return just outside Birmingham and thinking this is where, if I do need help, I call Mom and Dad, not my husband!  (And technically, it would have been AAA anyway).

Ok, so I stretched myself a bit.  Went out of my comfort zone.  Waaaaay out at times.  There's a fine line between stretching your wings and flapping your arms in a lunatic fashion.  See me above on the SUP, the Stand Up Paddleboard.  Which is new my Favorite Thing EVER.  Spent three hours learning how to do this.  The toughest part was getting it back across the street to the rental shop in a driving wind.  Awkward.  #2 saw a porpoise fin in the water behind us.  Set a new SUP record in her age group.  Unofficially, of course.

I also braved my fear of heights and rode the 360 Pensacola Beach Observation Wheel with my Dad.  Very nervous going up, but it was so quiet and smooth I got used to it quick.  I did not like seeing the very ordinary rubber tires that they use on it - what they are for, idk, some kind of cog buffer, I suppose.  But it was a very cool experience and some good views.

Note:  #2 is sitting in the van beside the handicapped parking spot.  She would not conquer her fear of heights on this trip.


No comments: