Monday, August 13, 2012

My First Ever

Competitive sporting event. 

S R S L Y.

I do not remember ever competing on a team or as an individual in any kind of "official" competition.  I almost made the volleyball team in 8th grade (but I had to relocate), and I did do some running for exercise in high school (until I went to France and got out of the habit in 7 quick days).

So, here I am at the beginning of the first annual Racing to Remember 5k to benefit Alzheimer's Tennessee.  Did not even know I was being photographed.  Don't I look Serious?

I was a bit nervous.  There were, while not actual hills per se, some rises.  and I've been running the flattest flat that ever was.  I was advised to start slow and I did.  I chose a person to follow and follow her I did until she started walking.  Then I found another person to follow, and on and on.  I had two gentlemen, one slightly ahead of me and the other slightly behind me, who were determined not to be beaten by a girl, and that was all kinds of annoying.  I was just trying to finish.

And finish I did.  I only walked twice.  Once, when I attempted to drink water (bad idea) and again towards the end near the top of one of the blasted rises.  My goal was to run the whole thing, and while I didn't, I'm hella proud that I completed it.  All by myself.

At the end, everyone sort of gathered about, drinking water and visiting, and I ran in to my yoga friend who BUSTED it with some ungodly 27 minute time and a whole bunch of other people I knew from high school and through my kids.  I would have left, but the road out was blocked with sweaty bodies.  So, I hung out, chatted and won a door prize!  Then, to top it off, I won medal.  2nd place in my age group.
I would have been happy with the t-shirt.





No comments: