Wednesday, February 02, 2005

six more weeks of winter. Let's all go back to bed.

tunage: Scott Miller and the Commonwealth, Upside Downside. mood: taking the blows, still standing. Best Thing about Today: it's Wednesday.

I love this cd - found it in my son's car. I traded with him so he could do the Soccer Mom thing for me while I had to work one Saturday (it was January 8th, if you're obsessed with details like me). This would of course be my oldest son's car, not the 11 year old - there is a minimum age for driver's licenses in Tennessee, in spite of appearances (16, and that's a restricted license). Anyway, Kanye West (? I'm not precisely sure) was blasting out of the speakers when I started his PofS auto, so as soon as I could safely switch it out, I put in Thus Always to Tyrants, SM and the C's first cd. It was the best first listen I've had in ages. He's from VA, so he talks right, and he's off in his own little space like John Prine is. He used to be in the V-Roys (haven't heard any of their stuff yet, but have one on order), lives in Knoxville (which almost makes him my neighbor), and the man can turn a phrase. One of my faves, from Red Ball Express (on Upside): 36 hours and we still ain't slept/hearing voices talk inside my head/in Burma-Shaving rhyme.


Still having the Mr. Brightside obsession as well, so I'm alternating between banjos and dance music. Well, it's just a different kind of dancing. And I need to hear Lucinda, too.

No comments: