Thursday, February 03, 2005

Heaven in a bowl: steaming hot grits with the sharpest cheddar cheese! I will get out of bed for this without coffee - not that I drink coffee anymore, but when I did, I would. Some people like Charleston grits with the Rotel tomatoes and cheese, but I'm a plain cheese grits girl. A dash of salt. An ounce of Extra Sharp White Cheddar. Good sturdy food, like oatmeal with taste. Not carb-friendly, but I like to think they're Good Carbs! And on a dreary February morning permeated with cold (but not freezing, dammit) rain, gray clouds of doom and the general malaise that is the heart of winter, you can't go wrong with cheese grits. If aliens were to land in my yard, I'd fix them cheese grits. Or cheeseburgers. Something that speaks a universal welcome. If there had been cheese grits at the Alamo, we wouldn't be speaking Spanish today. No, wait... If there had been cheese grits in Boston, instead of tea, the Revolution would have only taken a couple of weeks. I'm quite sure Hannibal powered them elephants with cheese grits. Marco Polo couldn't leave home without 'em. Grits so good, grits so great, grits so fine you'll lick your plate!

No comments: