Thursday, March 29, 2007

Remember the Alamo!


USA 0, Guatemala 0 in Frisco, Texas. The grass was pretty. The game wasn't.

The Guatemalan strategy was Defense Defense Defense: nine dudes bunkered sending the occasional ball up to Carlos Ruiz, who showed us just why they call him El Pescadito, flopping like a carp on grass at every possible opportunity. He's up for an Oscar, I've heard. The US of A had about 99% of possession, a figure I invented because ESPNsoccernet is currently showing stats from some other USA/Guatemala game. Miraculously, Bobby Convey was available for substitution in spite of that season-ending knee problem! Jay DeMerit, Michael Bradley, Benny Feilhaber and Frank Simek are all apparently in the Witness Protection Program, because they aren't even listed as substitutes. I expect better, ESPN. *



Some random observations: Clint Dempsey (a/k/a the Mostest from Nacogdoches) had several shining moments and got a full 90 for the first time since October 2006. Donovan had to be the most frustrated newlywed in Frisco. In Texas. Hell, in the northern hemisphere. We were missing Bocanegra's head, but nice to meet you Frank Simek (25) and Jay DeMerit (23) - is it just me, or do those two look an awful lot alike? I like the white shorts, so, ipso facto, the jerseys are elevated to OK. Kasey Keller reminds me of Dana Carvey in The Master of Disguise I won't swear to it, but I'm almost positive I saw Bob Bradley's facial expression change. Bruce Arena, I missed your analysis but I'm glad you were *there* for The Team of Destiny (a/k/a New York Red Bulls). Too bad we lost.

So, has Guatemala got our number ahead of the Gold Cup? I'm counting on Bob to furrow that brow and come up with a solution. June 2 in the City of Angels.


*and goshdarnit, they fixed it. but it was there! I swear!

No comments: