Friday, March 16, 2007

CONCACAF Semis, Leg One

Luciano Emilio is Da Man, the shizznit, El Jefe, etc. I expected DC to do better than a 1-1 tie (or 'draw' for you purist euro-snobs). After the fat lady sang, they were lucky to get it. It was a weird game. Dominance teeter-tottered between teams. Club Deportivo Guadalajara, more familiarly known as Chivas (which means 'goats' fwiw) had the form, the speed and the skills but couldn't get into the offensive third. DC played with schizophrenic flair and determination. I'd watch and think, they can win this. Five minutes later I'd think, they're gonna lose. Bad. To a team with "Bimbo" on their shirts.

I did not get to watch Houston Dynamo and Pachuca because I was standing in the rain watching my own little austinator and his team whup up on our county rivals 3-0. But way out west, the sun shone and the soccer gods smiled on Houston. 2-0 thanks to Mssrs. Ching and Wondolowski.

Here's some idle suggestions before the Mexico road trip next month:

1. Train in Denver. I'm sure the Rapids wouldn't mind swapping places for a couple of weeks. And take Lance Armstrong with you. He knows a few things about lung capacity.

2. Take a quick Berlitz course in EspaƱol. At least memorize a few helpful phrases like 'your mama's so nasty, she has to creep up on bathwater' or 'take me to the nearest hospital, please.' Depending.

3. Preparation is everything. Not just life insurance, living wills and powers of attorney. A man with a plan is a man who can. And as my mother used to say, cain't never could do nuthin'. Or was it, the sun don't shine on the same dog's butt all the time?

Go, teams! The hope of the nation goes with you.

No comments: