Monday, April 23, 2007

LUUUUUUU-cinda! April 21, Knoxville TN

















Can there be a better way to spend a Saturday evening than a date of sorts with Lucinda Williams?

Even the straight girls say hell, no.

It was a most excellent show. Here's the setlist courtesy of paul_from_losangeles (and who almost certainly won the Who Traveled the Farthest? Award). The real highlight for me was hearing Greenville, the song my shouts (well, just slightly above conversational level vocalizations) could not persuade her to sing last go around. Jailhouse Tears gets better every time I hear it. Please put it on a record soon, Lucinda. And a new one might not be that far away: she said she demo'd 25 songs for West and had written more since, being in a prolific period right now. She put her guitar down for several songs, and it was that Elvis Costello awkward hand gesture thing and the drunk-chick-Free Bird dance. Is this how performers keep themselves entertained? Is it a way to test themselves? Is it just stylish right now? All I know is it just ain't right.

Walking out to our car, we saw her getting on the bus. The redneck in me showed: I hollered out LU-cinda loud enough to make her look our way. I couldn't help it. It was just impossible to reconcile in my head that the lovely lady on stage was now trying to step on a bus. Drinking will do that to you.


Thanks, Lucinda. A most excellent evening.

No comments: